Mewing is just placing the tongue correctly on top of the mouth to get the proper shape of muscles at the jawline. Many people want an attractive jawline and a good structure of their face.
There are many techniques or exercises you do to give your body the perfect shape, and you do some yoga or gym to get your dream body, but what about your face? That is an essential part of your body in terms of looking attractive.
Your jawline broadly defines the look of your face, cheeks, and mouth. The shape of your entire face and sharp jawline is considered one of the best facial features around the world.
A strong jawline with a sharp symmetry feature of your face is associated with athleticism and a solid and confident personality. On the other hand, a weak jawline underestimates your appearance and significantly decreases the look of your face.
So we came up with good news about getting a solid and attractive jawline through practicing mewing regularly. It is just a do-it-yourself technique that can give you an excellent-looking facial structure in a matter of weeks, and it is called mewing.
But the question is, “Does mewing work, or is it just a fake”?
Let’s begin, and in this article, we will provide a complete guide on this unique technique to get aware of it.
What Is Mewing?
The fundamental reason behind the practicing mewing exercise is that you can give the reshape of your jawline. Most people try this and claim to do it on regular basis help with many other health benefits like sleep apnea, sinusitis, and many more.
It is just a simple facial exercise that helps you restructuring your jawline and makes you more attractive.
Dr. John Mew introduced the technique of mewing in the 1970s, who was an orthodontist. It is also known as orthotropic. The practice of this technique has come into trend due to its benefits. Most people have shared images on social media of before and after-effects.
How to Do Mewing?
Dr. John Mew introduced orthotropic to correct the misaligned teeth without the help of braces or surgery known as mewing.
According to him, dental problems can fix with practicing placing your tongue against the roof of the mouth, and at this time, your lips should close and teeth aligned.
Mew also suggested instead of eating soft food like cream, cheese, and many more that comes under the soft category of food, you should eat hard food like salad, sprouts, and fruits. With chewing more complex food, you get more muscles workout at your jawline.
Steps of Mewing
- Shut your mouth and relax your face and let your tongue in the rest position.
- Start moving your tongue from one side of the mouth to the other side
- Touch the base of the mouth with the tongue slowly.
- Now you can move your tongue freely where you want
- After some time, raise your tongue on the roof of your mouth and slightly press it at your upper teeth.
- Try to cover your palate with your tongue and make sure your whole tongue should cover the palate, not just the front.
- The use of the back third of the tongue is difficult for beginners. Try to push it against the roof of the mouth. The back third of the tongue connects the muscles of the jaw and neck.
- Keep your mouth close while doing this, and your upper and lower teeth must be resting together.
- When you raise your tongue, keep it for 10-15sec and repeat the process 10-15 times in a day initially.
- Once your tongue gets flexibility, you can perform this technique three times a day.
However, practicing this technique, in the beginning may not give a quick result. Significantly it will not change your jawline for quite some time. As per supporter of this technique, it will start showing results in 3-6 months if you practice it regularly.
Advantages of Mewing
Mewing proponents claim that regular and correct practice of this technique can give many benefits, including:
- Consistency of practice gives the proper facial appearance like a sharp jawline and beautiful cheekbones.
- Improve the speech problem and correct the teeth impairment.
- Regular practice of mewing can help you get rid of snoring and improve dental pain.
- It helps clear nasal congestion and improves sinusitis
- It improves breathing and swallowing problems.
- Improve the temporomandibular joint dysfunction.
- Improve the overall posture of your face and neck.
Does Mewing Work?
In recent years, mewing has got popularity as it is one of the only at-home techniques you can practice to get a better jawline. Unlike so many fake techniques, people have got accurate results with this simple technique.
If you do practice in the right way, it can profoundly impact the shape of your jawline, but most people do not know how to do it correctly and want a quick result.
Sometimes, over-expectation leads to wrong results. Many supporters of the mewing technique believe that it is an excellent simple transformative technique that must work if you do it in the right way with patience, and it will work in the way it should.
This technique will change your facial structure, and you will get a well-defined jawline. People also say it helps reduce jaw pain and snore.
Supporters of mewing also say that your jawline worsens with time if you do not practice this jaw exercise.
On the other hand, there is no clinical evidence available that claims practicing this technique are correct or not.
As per a study of the Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, “Mewing is just nothing more than a new social media craze.” Dentists also warn that the public needs to know that no scientific evidence is available related to this.
Mewing is similar to orofacial myofunctional therapy, which is famous among dentists and speech pathologists. This therapy performs to correct abnormal tongue positioning to get the correct posture of the tongue.
One more therapy similar to mewing performs to correct the jawline is known as an orthodontist
Orthodontist generally performs after the jawline surgery, and it helps to get the perfect jaw shape after the surgery.
However, you perform orofacial myofunctional therapy under a professional trainer’s guidance that helps you find the right way of doing it. They do not suggest doing it on your own.
If you are still thinking about whether you should practice mewing or not, the best way to find it is with the discussion of your doctor or dentist.
Mewing technique got a social media sensation nowadays. Reviewing through the points again, here are a few significant benefits of practice this technique regularly.- It gives a stronger jawline and attractive facial structure. Moreover, it improves the overall facial appearance, including eye region and palate. According to Mew supporters, you need to be consistent for over a year to get better results. On the other hand, not enough of the study is available related to this technique. It is not dangerous, but if you find any unusual pain while mewing, consults your dentist immediately. If you want to transform your jawline, you can visit your dentist as well.