The power chain has nothing to do with weightlifting or motorboats here but is for braces. In this, power chains are connected to the cordon of elastics. Power chain braces are used in orthodontics to help with a variety of issues and are commonly referred to as power braces.
Orthodontic treatment innovations popularity recently, in modern orthodontics are preferred these days. Power chain braces are commonly used in conjunction with the brackets attached to the teeth. In modern orthodontics, innovations in recent decades have offered a dozen types of braces. Power chains are predicted with a good prognosis and are highly efficient.
This is because power chains add more pressure and force in orthodontic tooth movement in comparison to the traditional brackets and ligatures; when asked to orthodontists- the use of power chain braces has in achieving great results in a short amount of time.
What are power chain braces?
Reaching the peroration of orthodontic treatment is a happy split second for every patient.
At this time, they are free from the adjustment pains and discomforts. And patients can have a greater variety of foods items with enjoyment. But before the accomplishment of orthodontic treatment, orthodontists recommend wearing power chain in braces- to put an end to the gaps between teeth.
If you are here to learn about power chains and why you need them? Then this article is going to enlighten you about what power chain on braces is….? Power chains braces work effectively because they provide more force and pressure than brackets and ligatures provide. Effective results in a short amount of time are expected from power chain braces.
Power chains are twine of elastics connected together. Most of the time, are made from an elastic material, but in some cases, metal twists also become the material of choice.
Yes, conventional elastics fit over individual brackets separately. But when we are talking about power chain braces, the power chains tie the brackets in form of uninterrupted band that run over the set of teeth. This is exploited technology to treat several dental issues simultaneously.
Customarily power chain in orthodontic treatment with the braces are used to close the space between teeth and can either be used on already spaced teeth or the gap that arises after tooth extraction- as well. Power chains exert supplementary pressure than provided by brackets and arch wires alone, making it easy to tempo up the treatment process.
You may also like: Lingual Braces: Cost, Lisping, Pros and Cons You need to know
Power chain in braces address multiple oral issues effectively, comprising:
- Correcting crooked teeth
- Fixing misalignments
- Rotating teeth
- Improving dental midline
Epitome of power chains in braces- explains the related mechanism of power chains and braces that don’t comply with the one-size-fits-all setting.
Hence, power chain of differed verities are availed in recent researches and market, as each patient has a different issue that needs to be addressed differently. Patients’ diagnosis will help decide the spaces between links on the power chain braces.
The diameters between each loop’s centre of power chain braces differ. This regulates which bracket the loop attaches onto and the treating orthodontist determine the type that suits case needs. Several types of them are available.
In vogue, there are three common types of power chains in braces, including:
- Closed: chain type fixes at every bracket. Because no spaces exist between the rings.
- Short: each ring in this type of power chain is segregated by a minor distance.
- Long: chain has rings separated by very long distances connected to every third bracket.
Selecting the type of power chains, the criterion will comply with strategy of treatment plan at various treatment stages.
You can see some types and colors of power chain for braces on pinterest.
Are there any associated risks in use of power chains?
The pressure that power chains in braces exert, fades away over time which can be due to the: power chain type, material used, teeth movement due to eating or other things, internal factors of the mouth such as moisture, temperature, etc. Due these factors, orthodontist change power chains from time to time.
Generally speaking, the risk and side effects of wearing power chain braces are the same as normal braces. Which are: gum disease, tooth decay, short tooth roots, treatment reversal.
You may also like Lip tie in Babies and Infants
Are power chain braces painful?
During the orthodontic treatment, orthodontist will tighten the wire that runs through tooth bracket during the appointment. This is done to add more pressure to the teeth, so they move into the correct positions followed to cascade of orthodontic tooth movement.
In case the patient is opting power chains in braces followed by adjustment of the existing one; patient will counter minor irritation and soreness that will subside within a few days after the appointment. For this temporary pain over-the-counter pain reliever such as Tylenol can help ease the discomfort.
Who needs power chain braces?
Cases with the ages of 8-14 years are most likely to get power chains in braces. This is the best age to get this treatment because the body is still growing, and the teeth move faster and easier compared to adults. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t wear power chain braces- if you’re over 15. Many power chain wearers are 20+ also.
How long power chain braces can be weared?
Just like you may think about the duration of orthodontic braces treatment, the time duration for wearing power chains depends on each individual. The total treatment length will be different for each patient.
It becomes pertanious here to mention that in certain cases the power chain braces that have played their role in the braces treatment, such as closing the gaps between teeth, the orthodontist may still recommend keeping them on so as to stop the teeth from reverting, resulting in a gap. Here you can think of the power chains in braces working similar to a retainer.
Power chains classified as in different colors: Power chain braces come with the same choice of colors as normal ligatures. Orthodontist advise on what Braces Colors will best suit your lifestyle. And power chain braces with silver or smoked color are the least affected by stains.
How to care for power chain braces?
For a smooth orthodontic treatment, it’s important to take care of power chains in braces during orthodontic treatment. Here are some tips for:
- Brushing teeth after eating
- Brush gently
- Rinsing the mouth
- Check your braces in the mirror and in case u find damage or loose end visit your orthodontist
- Avoid certain food types like sticky foods, hard foods, high sugar foods.
Is the power chain in braces considered the last step for ortho treatment?
If you are wearing power chain braces, – frankly speaking there is no straight answer to the question. Usually, the power chain braces can be used in the late stage of braces treatment. But, can be wear in the early stage during the tooth alignment or bite correction stage.
Following points will debunk the myth against the use of power chain in braces:-
- Power chain braces are not braces in the verifiable sense. Power chain stretch over the brackets, and work together with the other components – brackets, archwire, hooks, etc.
- Power Chains are made with the same medium that is used in regular elastic ligatures.
- Power Chains provide support to the teeth and also provide the additional force needed to bring teeth closer to each other.
- Power chain in braces are used by orthodontists from the beginning of the treatment for space closure in some cases.
- Power chain braces are commonly used instead of ligatures that depends on the treatment goals.
- Power chains are not adding any additional cost to orthodontic treatment. This cost quote can vary greatly depending on a range of factors, such as complexity of the problem, style of braces, materials, treatment time, location, any additional services needed, and the individual orthodontist.
- Power chains are available in different types and colors, just like ordinary elastic ligatures- don’t worry for aesthetics.
- Power chain braces don’t hurt—but you have to take the care as prescribed by orthodontist and team
- Power chain braces are typically used for approximately 6 weeks on average. But each case is different.
- Power Chain braces can be used to close gaps and move teeth in patient who qualifies to wear braces or receive orthodontic treatment at any age.
Power Chain Braces is the lion share among the implicit ways to fix gaps in teeth and pull teeth toward a particular direction until teeth are straight.